Darwin: Portrait of A Genius: A Book Review
Occasionally, it is possible for an individual to change how people understand the world and thereby unleash forces that ultimately bring about great good or great harm. This however can lead to a certain amount of mythologizing and exaggeration regarding their lives, their work or their intentions. In his most recent book, Darwin, Portrait of a Genius, well-known historian and biographer Paul Johnson provides a fresh look at the life and times of the great naturalist Charles Darwin, and reassesses the significance of his groundbreaking work.
Charles Darwin, a genius born in 1809 in Shropshire, England, believed that inheritance determined a person more than education or environment and fittingly came from a brilliant family. His father and both paternal grandfathers, in the course of a half-century, rose from modest landownership to renown and wealth as medical practitioners, gentlemen scientists who studied the transference of traits from one generation to the next. His grandfather, Erasmus Darwin, was an early evolutionist who hypothesized a “common filament” connecting both plant and animal life that was passed on from parent to offspring. While early on, Charles displayed an aptitude for observation and analysis, he later proved to be an uninspiring and unenthusiastic medical student at Edinburgh.
Charles however formed close relationships with his professors of natural science, one of whom recommended him to be the naturalist aboard the H.M.S. Beagle for its voyage of discovery around the world. Embarking in 1821, Charles spent five years exploring flora and fauna. His astute observations and compelling theories on plant life in South America and coral formation in the Indian Ocean, sent from the deck of the Beagle, popularized him in scientific circles even before his return in 1826, when his father Robert Darwin established him up as a gentleman scientist to pursue his lifelong passion for science. Darwin now more thoroughly analyzed the thousands of samples and innumerable notes he had also collected during his voyage, including 500 stuffed finches from the Galapagos Islands. By the time he married his cousin Emma Wedgewood in 1839, he had roughly formed his theories regarding the process of the evolutionary development of physical traits. However, wary of their controversy, he continued to develop them in private until 1856, when a fellow naturalist, Alfred Russell Wallace, came to many of the same conclusions. Releasing his groundbreaking work, The Origin of Species, Darwin published only a few months ahead of Wallace and sealed his place as the founder of the theory that would change the study of biology.
Johnson is that rare author who can synthesize the entire life of a great historical figure in under 200 pages of eminently enjoyable prose. Johnson’s brevity necessitates that his work is not exhaustive, but presents the aspects of Darwin’s life that are likely most relevant to Johnson. He succeeds at “de-mythologizing” Darwin by offering a fresh look at his shortcomings as well as his brilliance. He also highlights the challenges that Darwin faced as he applied his biological paradigm to anthropology in his second and far more controversial work, The Descent of Man, arguing effectively that Darwin was a far better scientist than anthropologist. He suggests that Darwin’s clumsy attempts at that discipline lacked the empirical rigor that characterized his previous biological work and left The Descent of Man open to radical interpretation by the new generation of eugenicists and self-styled ‘Social-Darwinists.’ Johnson’s book is a compelling portrait that raises important new interpretations of Darwin and his work for the 21st century.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent Tufts News Articles
RECENT TUFTS CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP TUFTS NEWS
- 5 Apps You Need in Your Life
- Students Lose Confidence in Campus Safety at Temple University
- 5 Palatable Options In and Around USC
- How to Land an Internship: A Few Tips and Tricks
- Exclusive Interview with Ghostlight Director Thomas Gallogly!
- How to Make Online Jobs Appealing to College Students
- Keep Your Residents Safe During Halloween: 5 Suggestions
MOST POPULAR TUFTS NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAndover Newton Theological SchoolAnna Maria CollegeAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay Path CollegeBay State School of TechnologyBecker CollegeBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBentley CollegeBentley UniversityBerklee College of MusicBerkshire Community College Blackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Architectural CollegeBoston Baptist CollegeBoston CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusBridgewater State CollegeBristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cambridge CollegeCape Cod Community CollegeCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolClark UniversityCollege of the Holy CrossConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonCurry CollegeDean CollegeDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEastern Nazarene CollegeEINE IncElms CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEndicott CollegeEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryGreater Lowell Technical SchoolGreenfield Community College Hallmark Institute of PhotographyHampshire CollegeHarvard UniversityHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHolyoke Community CollegeHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLasell CollegeLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLesley UniversityLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMassachusetts School of LawMassasoit Community College Medical Professional InstituteMerrimack CollegeMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMiddlesex Community College (MA)Mildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteMount Holyoke CollegeMount Ida CollegeMount Wachusett Community CollegeNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England School of LawNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorth Shore Community College Northeastern UniversityNorthern Essex Community CollegeNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamQuinsigamond Community College Regis CollegeRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalem State CollegeSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthSpringfield CollegeSpringfield Technical Community CollegeStonehill CollegeSuffolk UniversityThe New England Conservatory of MusicThe New England Institute of ArtToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterTufts UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of BostonWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheaton CollegeWheelock CollegeWilliams CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteWorcester State College
- By State
- By City