Have More Fun This Semester: 5 Things to Bring with You on Move-in Day
Listen up, freshmen!
1. Cookie/brownie/cake mix. I once read a “college survival guide” that recommended bringing cookies to share on move-in day. Great icebreaker, right? Not necessarily. I tried this during orientation: the girls on my hall were either health-conscious athletes or otherwise uninterested; the guys said “thanks” and left it at that. I ended up eating most of them myself so as not to waste cookies. Yeah…that was an awkward jump-start to the freshman fifteen. Womp womp.
Better idea: bring sweets you haven’t baked yet.* Baking with another person involves social interaction that transcends “Thanks for the cookie. Yeah. See you around.” You and a co-chef can get to know each other while you’re preparing the mix and waiting for the goodies to come out of the oven. Celebrate your accomplishment by nomming together.
*You might want to bring a bowl and pan as well, so you don’t have to mix dough in a Frisbee.
2. Concealer (the makeup kind). My Tufts friends and I had one of our first bonding experiences over the havoc that college wreaked upon our complexions. Between dining hall food, stress, and weekends spent in basements full of sweaty people, it’s possible you’ll break out more than usual. It’s not that no one will befriend a person with imperfect skin; it’s more that being volcano-faced is a drag. If you don’t look your best, you’re not apt to feel your best. Good concealer is essential in putting one’s best face forward and—
Okay, fine. The real reason to pack concealer is this: weekend debauchery can sometimes lead to certain, um, contusions in rather visible places. Students of both sexes would do well to have cover-up on hand, so as to avoid the “I-took-a-paintball-to-the-neck” look when you go to brunch with your parents on Sunday morning.
3. A robust iTunes library. Swapping mp3s is a great way to meet people and find out what you have in common (or don’t, should you meet someone whose Top 25 Most Played consists of Fergie and Creed). Bring along more than just your favorites—stock up on classic rock or your cousin’s top 40 mashups. Should you tire of your old standbys and desire a change of soundtrack, it’s nice to have tunes on tap. Last but not least, trading songs means you get to cull music from your peers, which equates to giving yourself loads of digital presents without spending a cent. Score.
4. Clothes you don’t like too much. The next time you fill a bag to bring to Goodwill, go through and save certain items—tank tops, t-shirts, etc—in various colors. Even if you’re not into the theme-party scene, many performing groups make their own costumes for shows. T-shirts and tank tops can be drawn on, cut up, or lent to friends for dress-up. I knew a girl who brought costumes from Party City with her to school. Is that an easy solution to the Halloween dilemma? Sure. Is it as fun as rummaging through your wardrobe and reinventing yourself as Robin Sparkles or Pirate Abe Lincoln for a night? Definitely not.
5. Glow sticks. Sometimes, the power’ll go out, and you won’t remember where you packed your flashlight. Sometimes, you’ll end up playing capture the flag in the dark, and you’ll need to divide up teams. Sometimes, you’ll need to stop studying and fretting about your future and have a dance party in the hallway. Military personnel carry glow sticks as a source of emergency lighting; why not keep some as a source of emergency fun?
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Tufts News Articles
TUFTS Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City