The Road to Success: 7 Tips From Successful People
When we see successful people, we often wonder, What are their secrets? How do they accomplish such amazing things?
Well, I’ve researched what some successful people have done. So read on and check out their WOWs (Words of Wisdom)!
1. Take action on your dreams
“Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” — Napoleon Hill
Whether it’s crushes or classes, you won’t achieve your goals just by sitting around. So start working toward what you want right NOW. Or okay, maybe after you finish reading this article!
2. Spoiler alert: it’s okay to fail
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” — Colin Powell
Right on point. Don’t be afraid of failure, because hey, it’s a part of success! So if you fail, get back up. Try, try, and try again till you make it! Perseverance is key to success.
3. Believe in yourself. Be you.
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
The first time I read that quote, I was struck by its power. I mean, it’s amazing what people can do when they really believe in themselves.
Take Sylvester Stallone, for example. He was born with a partially paralyzed face and talked with a slur. But he dreamt of becoming an actor! Does any movie company want to hire him? Not at first. He slept for weeks at a bus terminal because he became so broke pursuing his dream. He had to part with his dog, selling it for $50 — the lowest point of his life. Yet he believed in himself. Eventually, he starred in the movie he wrote himself, Rocky, which was a big hit. Plus, the newly successful actor bought his dog back! A happy ending indeed.
Of course, not all of us have that kind of dramatic life story, but you get the point: believe in yourself!
4. Aim high
“You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
Yup, let’s aim higher than that 324 meter Eiffel Tower, shoot for the far-far away moon, and dream big! Don’t set the bar too low.
If you aim high, say, all A’s in your subjects, you’ll probably get a mix of A’s and B’s. But if you set the bar too low, say, pass all subjects, you’ll risk failing some.
That’s why big goals are important!
5. Get out of your comfort zone
“You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
Woah, scary but true. We’ve all been forced outside of our comfort zones at some point: being the newbie in a room, or giving a presentation in class. Those moments that elicit butterflies in our stomachs? Nope. Not pleasant.
But if we want to grow and succeed (and who doesn’t?), casting our fears aside is necessary. Plus, when you are fearless, life is more exciting! So try new things: join clubs and organizations in college, take up a leadership position, sign up for a trapeze class … whatever’s challenging!
6. Be curious
“Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.” – Arnold Edinborough
Travel, ask questions, be genuinely interested in people, and most importantly, read. Read like the noble cat above.
I know, those 357-page school textbooks we’re forced to plow through aren’t a page-turner — they make some of us hate reading. And if you’re one of those people, trust me, you’re missing out a LOT.
All successful people read. In fact, some read books at a crazy rate — like Warren Buffet, who read between 600 and 1,000 pages daily. Wow.
7. The bottom line
As professional footballer Pelé puts it:
“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice, and most of all, love of what you are doing.”
So, to all of us college students, here’s to striving for excellence! Good luck!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Tufts News Articles
TUFTS Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City