What I Wish I Knew Before Studying Abroad
Studying abroad is becoming more and more popular in college curricula across the country. I know specifically for UTK, studying abroad is a way to satisfy the “ready for the world” requirement for Honors Program members.
The thought of studying abroad might be an exciting thing for you, as it should be. But from someone who studied abroad, spent way too much money, and was in emotional turmoil the entire time, here are five things I wish I knew before I decided to study abroad.
1. It’s best to go with your university
Some of my friends studied abroad with third-party companies, and the most difficult obstacle they had to tackle was figuring out how to get their courses to count for credit at their university. If you don’t want to worry with this, attend a program sponsored by your university, with your university’s faculty. There will be no doubt when you get back about the credits you earned.
2. Know how much money you’re spending … and where it’s going
After being in Germany for about three weeks, I realized that I had been way overcharged. When I requested a receipt from my university, they were unable to provide one. It was quite the runaround. Later, I found out they had charged everyone a “buffer amount” on the off chance that the program ended up being more expensive than estimated.
After six months, I was refunded that buffer amount, but I wish I would have looked into it earlier.
3. Being financially conscious is a good thing — most of the time
I traveled abroad with 500 euros in my purse and I had a goal of coming home with some left over. Sure, I used some credit cards, and I splurged on the delicious baked goods and strawberries, but what I didn’t do was spend money on making memories. I only studied abroad for about five weeks, but during that time, I lived as scarcely as I could. I was so afraid of running out of money.
There are two ends of this spectrum, and I was living on the money conscious end. Some of my classmates spent thousands traveling around Europe, while I spent the weekends studying and watching Netflix. I don’t regret coming back with money left over, but I regret not spending money on the things that would’ve created lasting memories.
4. Expect some emotional turmoil/anxiety/emotional breakdowns
Because I didn’t. And my trip was full of panic attacks. I wasn’t ready for what was coming. I didn’t ask enough questions. I wasn’t mentally or emotionally healthy enough to take surprises like, “oh, just kidding, you don’t have Wi-Fi.” Get ready to be flexible, and get ready to call your mom crying. If you’re anything like me, it’ll happen a lot.
5. Prepare yourself to change
I didn’t know how different I would be when I returned from Germany. I didn’t know how much I would miss being out of America. I also didn’t know how embarrassed I’d be to admit I was American. Despite what you may think, not all countries love Americans. (I went before Donald Trump was elected … I can’t imagine what it’s like now.)
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
TUFTS HOUSING LISTINGSSee all TUFTS Housing Listings
TUFTS Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City