Why Students Should Travel Now
Many people say they love to travel, but when is the time to do it? Some people claim that waiting and saving up enough money after establishing a career is the way to go. However, when you put things off in life, they often don’t get done at all.
I believe traveling as a student is imperative to finding your identity as a young person in this huge world.
1. You’re allowed to be selfish
Being a student means you likely only have to worry about yourself and your studies. You probably don’t have a spouse and children to look after. You’re not married to your job either. The things tying you to one place are very few. If there is any time in your life you should be traveling, it is as a student.
You’re probably more worried about what you’re going to do this weekend than what your five-year plan will be. Of course, this isn’t true for every college student, but if you don’t know where you’re going to be this weekend, why not travel somewhere? This is the time to make the memories you’ll cherish for the rest of your life, especially the spontaneous and silly ones.
2. You’re establishing your friends
When you get older, it’s likely that your group of people will condense. It’ll probably consist of your spouse, your family, your coworkers, and a few close friends. But as a student, you’ve yet to find out who your good friends will be. In fact, you’re probably using this time to meet as many new people as possible to find out what you’re really looking for in a good friend.
At this point in your life, you’re open to new people. So if you’re looking to meet new people, why not take a solo trip and meet fellow travelers? You can indulge in the local food together and explore new places. Traveling is probably one of the best ways to truly get to know someone too. Plus, sharing these exciting traveling experiences, with friends new or old, is the best way to travel.
3. Your responsibilities are minimal
Without kids to look after and a job to nourish, you’re free as a bird when you aren’t tied down to your studies. University is great because it allows you entire weeks and sometimes entire months off from studying and working. In a traditional job sense, this probably isn’t going to happen and if you’re taking weeks off, you’re risking missing out on a lot of pay.
As a student, you probably aren’t quite as concerned. You know what they say about your twenties: it’s a time to have fun and experience all the world has to offer. If you’re staying in one place, how could you even really understand what life is all about?
4. Your expectations are low
If you’re a young person, chances are that you haven’t traveled much beyond family vacations. It also means you may be living in a cramped dorm room and on ramen noodles. You don’t live a lavish life and you don’t need to. You can make anything seem like an adventure whether it’s a midnight trip to the grocery store or a party gone awry.
If you’re traveling as a student, you can bet that it’ll be one of the greatest times of your life even if you’re staying in a cramped hostel or sitting in dirty bars. It doesn’t matter to you; you’re just having the time of your life no matter what! Even if you do get stuck somewhere less than perfect, if you have the right attitude and the right people around you, you’re sure to make the best of any situation. Things that seem awful at the time may turn into a great and hilarious story in a couple of months!
5. It can change your life
As a student, and especially as a young person in general, your opinions about the world are still forming. Whether you’re learning from your friends or your teachers, I encourage you to travel and learn all that exploring the world can teach you. Traveling will force you to rethink your place in the world and see other cultures as valuable.
Without travel, people are more prone to thinking with a closed mind. When you travel, you’re forced out of your normal comfort zone and pressured to re-evaluate all of your previously held beliefs. Doing this will help you gain a true sense of who you are and what you really care about. All in all, travel will change your life, especially as a student.
At this moment in your life, you’re afforded opportunities that you won’t find later on down the road. You’re allowed to be selfish. You’re allowed to make spontaneous decisions without having to consult multiple people. The time to travel is now.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
TUFTS STUDENT TRAVEL LISTINGSSee all TUFTS Student Travel Listings
TUFTS Student Travel Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City