10 Reads for Your Valentine's Needs
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and for some, that means absolutely nothing. If you’re anything like me, alone time is more important than anything else, and you’d way rather curl up with a good book than spend the night out trying to hook a significant other to bring home.
So what do people like us do on Valentine’s Day? We could always watch a few romantic comedies and call it a night (it is a Tuesday, after all), but, more realistically, we’re going to be reading anyway.
So, we might as well get in the holiday spirit and read some texts that are filled with romance. Without further ado, here are 10 texts that are perfect for your Valentine’s Day reading needs.
1. “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
Honestly, you could insert any Jane Austen novel here and you would do just fine, but “Pride and Prejudice” is one of the best for a variety of reasons. But first and foremost, it’s one of the greatest, and most relevant, love stories ever written. So it has educational value while simultaneously satisfying that romantic void in your life for the day. You’re welcome.
2. “The Host” by Stephanie Meyer
Yes, the “Twilight” saga is the more obvious choice here, but “The Host” is a very underrated love story. It’s a thick book, but you shouldn’t have any trouble finishing it, as it’s almost impossible to put down once you’re started. It’ll satisfy your sci-fi craving with that romantic element that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
3. “Gone With the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell
An absolute classic, no Valentine’s Day reading bonanza would be complete without it. This is another bigger text, that may take some time to get through, but the love story at the heart of the book is unique and compelling, and the text itself is beautifully written. You won’t want to put it down and you’ll return to it over and over again.
4. “The Notebook” by Nicholas Sparks
Again, any Nicholas Sparks novel will do, but “The Notebook” is undoubtedly one of his best. It’s a traditional love story that’ll bring the waterworks, and you can always follow up your reading with a showing of the film, as both are absolutely worth your time. If you haven’t read this one, definitely pick it up, and if you have, it’s worth rereading.
5. “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte
My personal favorite, “Wuthering Heights” is a gothic text that is surprisingly relatable and that keeps you guessing until the very end. It’s one of those books that you’ll have to read again from a new perspective and it’ll quickly become one of your favorites.
6. “Modern Lovers” by Emma Straub
Admittedly, this was not one of my favorite texts at first, but the characterizations throughout the book are fantastically multi-dimensional and propel an otherwise dull story. The relationships are as with the times as you can get, and that in and of itself makes this one a keeper.
7. “The Couple Next Door” by Shari Lapena
If you’re looking for a thriller/mystery, this is your book. With relationships at the center and mystery threatening to tear them apart, this text is nearly impossible to put down, and an easy read in general. The characters aren’t all that likable, but you can’t help but feel for them all at the same time.
8. “All About Love: New Visions” by Bell Hooks
This may not be a narrative that’s impossible to put down, but it’s one that everyone needs to read. It discusses the meaning of love in our society and the feminist outlook on relationships in general without being overly preachy.
9. “I Let You Go” by Clare Mackintosh
Undoubtedly one of the best books I’ve ever read, “I Let You Go” is the only book to successfully pull a multitude of twists that you simply don’t see coming. I won’t spoil anything, as that would completely ruin the book, but if you’re a fan of a little mystery to go with your romance, you’re in luck!
10. “Thirteen Reasons Why” by Jay Asher
This young adult novel is on the list for a couple reasons. One, because it’s a great mystery and a quick read. Two, because it’s about to be a Netflix TV show that you will want to tune into, and it’s always best to read the book first. I promise you won’t be able to put it down!
While these are just a few of my favorites, there are plenty of Valentine’s themed books out there for your perusal. So hit the local library or surf Amazon and find one that speaks to you.
A comfy chair and a cup of tea will be eagerly awaiting your arrival!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent Tufts News Articles
RECENT TUFTS CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City